"Thomas L. Lawson"
LAUNCHED IN 1902
in water full with full cargo)
with three complete steel plated decks
25 sails in total
7 gaffsails,7 topsails, 6 staysails and 5 jibs
WEIGHT OF SAILS
CONSTRUCTED OF 2-0 CANVAS
STEAM POWERED ENGINES WERE USED TO HOIST THE SAILS UP THE
MAST WHICH REDUCED THE CREW TO ONLY 19 MEN
was used in the coal trade, she was rebuilt in 1906 for carrying oil in bulk.
The topmasts were removed at that time and the lower masts were used to vent the
holds from oil gases. With a crew
of only 19, working on this ship was particularly difficult. Most crews that
served onboard refused a second tour. When
there were head winds, she had difficulty tacking.
Ultimately she sank while at anchor off the coast of Sicily on the 13th
day of December, 1907 awaiting calmer winds.
Local Boaters Information
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.